Interacting with Special NPCs and Settings

Go down

Interacting with Special NPCs and Settings

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:25 pm

This is intended as a quick write-up of common interactions with special characters. Remember, NPCs and Settings denoted with a text color change should be treated as a character only controlled by the GM. 

Example - A Fight!

Mordecai finds himself waylaid by bandits outside of the city. After initially dismissing them, he is forced to result to more aggressive tactics. The bandit leader has been previously denoted as a special character.

"If you will not move, well then..." 
I conjure a flaming sphere and send it bouncing along the ground toward the bandit's flimsy barricade. As it collides with wood, cloth, and flesh, all are incinerated in spectacular fashion. The leader barks an order to attack, but a bolt of lightning is sent through his men and he is left alone. 
"Very well" I mutter, "I expect no further interruptions. Come Elric". 

In this example, the player is given free reign to deal with with the situation in a manner befitting the character's power. The only stipulation is that the bandit leader can only be referenced and not directly interacted with. Mordecai could have chosen to attempt to incinerate the bandit leader as well, but would need to indicate their chosen action (I fireball the bandit leader...) and wait for the GM to dictate the story (The bandit leader is incinerated).

Last edited by Admin on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://100yearwar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

More Examples

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Example 2 - A Special Setting

Roofus finds himself locked in prison after a bar fight. The jail cell is a special setting, requiring approval for many actions. 

I rub my groggy eyes and look around. Iron bars.

"Damn"

A sharp pain erupts from my side as I try to stand. One of the bastards must've tried to gut me. I grip the iron bars and look around the room. Another patron lies on the ground in a separate cell, while the guard sleeps hunched over on a stool. "I've gotta get back there quick," I think to myself, and start trying to squeeze through the bars. [Escape Artist 11]

In this example, Roofus must attempt a roll to interact with his environment. While it may be obvious that he doesn't succeed in squeezing through the bars, it is important to make a roll (or set of rolls) and wait for the gamemaster to dictate the rest of the story. It's possible his attempts woke the other cell mate, or the guard!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://100yearwar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum