RPG 100 Year War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elina and the Noble Hunt

2 posters

Go down

Elina and the Noble Hunt Empty Elina and the Noble Hunt

Post by Admin Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Elina infiltrates a noble's party to gather more intel on the 'Twin Falcons'. When the festivities change to more rugged affairs, she realizes her time in disguise might be up. Wits and charm are her weapons against an unknown assailant staging an accident on the hunt. 

You attempt to calm your racing heart as you take a sip from your wine. The room is surprisingly boisterous with only nine nobles sitting across a solid oak table. Moments ago you overheard a plot to kill you in the woods under cover of the morning hunt set to take place in a few hours. The voice was male, of which there are six candidates now cheering and drinking wildly. The co-conspirator is unknown, but likely connected to the first, indicating one of the ladies who now hang off the arms of their dates. 

The room will soon be changing into hunting attire, and you must act quickly to save your life.

• Investigate Silas and Lilian - Nobles from Whitecliff.
  • Investigate Nemos and Iris - Nobles pre-dating the destruction of Carneith Hold.
  • Investigate Lucas and Emily - Nobles freshly ordained by the Dark Duke.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)

Admin
Admin

https://100yearwar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Elina and the Noble Hunt Empty Re: Elina and the Noble Hunt

Post by FreshJuice Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

My mind races trying to find an escape. Felix got me into this party, I know he would never turn on me. We must have been betrayed...again. At this point we might as well wipe the blade clean and start over with a fresh forge. This cutlass clearly has too many nicks in it. Enough of that train of thought, I have to find out how deep this runs. Does it go all the way to my "date", Josiah? He is a personal friend of Felix and a long time business partner, surely he's clean.

"I pray to Desna that this is the longest night of my life and hopefully not my last." I rise from my seat in the antechamber and make my way back to my date who seems to have captured the attention of one of the nobles from Whitecliff. Quite the socialite. Josiah is quite the remarkable man and a key player in many of Felix's favorite schemes. As a captain of industry in Carneith, Josiah owns several market stalls and has even managed to claim ownership over a portion of the quarry. Another of Felix's favorite things about him I'm sure.
"Josiah, the night is almost over and you haven't even introduced me to your friends here!" I say in my most innocent and clueless voice. I despise sounding so weak but it plays on the heartstrings of men like the most elegant of harps. All the better to gather intelligence.

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:12 pm

"Elina, darling, we were just talking about you," Josiah says with a grin that stretches from ear to ear. "I was just saying how a mutual friend of ours claims you are the greatest dancer he has ever seen!"

The other nobles' eyes cast silent judgement upon you, an invitation to wow them, or make a fool of yourself. With a coy smile, you assure them all that Josiah is simply being generous, a trait you love about him. Dull conversation continues, but you sense one of them is far more interested in you than the idle chatter. Lucas can barely keep his eyes off of your, let alone hide this fact!

"I'm going to refresh my glass, would anyone else like another glass?" you ask innocently. The room erupts with calls for more, as expected. "Lucas," you call, "I could use help carrying all these glasses from the cellar."

• Attempt to charm Lucas into revealing information.
  • Attempt to intimidate Lucas into revealing information. 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm

"I'm so glad you came to assist me, Lucas. I don't know how I would have carried all this wine back up with me!" We descend into the cellar where the most impressive wine collection this side of the Hold lies. "Ginac Cap Classique, Shajinett, Birumes Noir, this is quite the treasury. He even has Ebrusian Cépage. You know, Lucas, this wine is a favorite of the Duke. I had the honor of tasting some of it at a gathering in the keep one night. Have you spent much time with the Duke? I know you're a newly appointed noble family so perhaps you haven't had the chance just yet. He is quite the impressive man dwarfed only by the lavish parties he throws." I rattle off endlessly, not leaving a moment for him to respond, all the while getting closer and closer until he can feel my breath upon his cheek. Flustered, he drops a glass from the tray and I snag it right before it hits the ground. I place the glass back upon the tray and press ever closer to him, "Tell me Lucas, is everything alright with the missus?"

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:45 pm

His blush turns ghastly white as Emily's voice rings out from above the cellar's door. "Lucas. Lucas dear. How long does it take to fetch wine?" He pulls away from you and quickly responds, and you are soon left alone in the cellar. While not definitive proof, his arousal was obvious, that you are sure of. You have been around enough dimwitted men to know who can handle themselves or not. If Lucas were the man speaking, you would have expected him to play harder to get. 

You leave the cellar with an uncorked bottle and mentally cross Lucas off your list. Now to find more. After half an hour of socializing, the women retire to don appropriate hunting attire. You bid Josiah a quick farewell and head to one of the open bedrooms of the manor. Quickly changing, you exit the room and silently walk the hall to gather information. 

• Make your way to Lilian's room.
  • Make your way to Iris's room.
  • Return to the men early.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:31 pm

This attire is atrocious but an actress must play her role. I make my way to Lilian's room and open the door to find her still in the process of changing, or rather her handmaiden is still in the process of changing her.

"It's quite rude to enter a lady's room unannounced, especially when you know she's changing her garments!" Despite the rise in her voice Lilian's face reveals little about her emotional state.

"My apologies, Lilian, but I just can't stand being the only woman in the room with those wolves. Their lecherous eyes never seem to leave me. Besides, I think It's time for some girl talk don't you?" I move over to take the handmaiden's place and begin to assist her in swapping her attire. After the maid leaves I start my conversation up again, "Surely, you yourself have noticed the hunger in their eyes when you enter the room? Impressive women like us have that effect on the weak minds of men. I'm sure you have Silas at your beck and call back at your estate with a figure like this." Lilian doesn't speak. It seems I was right in my assumptions, being away from Whitecliff and her family for sometime now has surely put a strain on their relationship forcing Silas to seek other companionship. Lords have a tendency to do that.

With a surprising quickness I pull the drawstring of her corset incredibly tight knocking the breath from her lungs. "Oh, what I wouldn't do for a man like Silas to rush to my aid if I was in danger. It must be very refreshing to know he's but a call away at any given time. Ah, but that might be a tad difficult for you currently." I pull the strings even tighter ensuring she can't catch a breath let alone cry out for help. After a moment or two she slips into unconsciousness and I struggle to put her in the bed. I probably should have moved her closer before but oh well. If only Blackknuckle were here, I mean One Paw. This is his job anyways. It's not proper for a lady to strain herself like so.

I tuck her in, tidy myself up, and head back down where everyone else is waiting. "Silas, I'm sorry but Lilian asked me to tell you that she doesn't feel well. When I asked what's wrong she burst into tears! It was unseemly but I helped her lie down and she's resting in her room if you'd like to check on her."

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Those worried expression, sweaty palms, and slurred speech, how unimpressive. With Lilian disposed of for the hunt, Silas is no longer a threat. You cross them off your list, leaving you with only one other couple in the room. Nemos and Iris.

Your eyes focus in on the couple as you take your seat in the parlor next to Josiah and the other men. Nemos has removed his jacket, revealing a fine leather tunic with a deep amber dye. Iris, recently changed, matches the man with a leather corset. Beside them, a heavy crossbow of masterwork quality, made by the finest bowyer in the kingdom. Nemos retrieves the machine to the amusement of each guest, and dazzles the crowd with the firing mechanism. Your half-hearted ooh's and ahh's cease when you realize Iris has evaded your attention. As you turn, you are greeted with another dark red wine in a crystal glass, a gift from Iris. She stands with a tray of drinks, yours already plucked and awaiting your hands. With a smile, she announces the start of the hunt, and a toast! 

With the drink in hand you go over your options, a daunting task before you. Raising your glass with the party you... Let the Hunt begin.

• Down the drink and meet the others near the hunting dogs. [Roll Fortitude]
  • Dispose of the drink. [Roll Sleight of Hand]
  • Interrupt the toast and trade drinks with Josiah. [Bluff 18+ Required, Failure = Interruption ignored]

Last edited by Admin on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm

[Sleight of Hand 21]

Cayden's coinpurse! Is this the poison? Damn, they work fast. I was careless in thinking that Nemos would be the one to do it. I didn't suspect Iris would be bold enough. None of that matters now of course. I have to think of a way to get rid of this drink.

I frantically search the table for anything I can use: cloths, silverware, a candelabra to beat them with...ah! The loaf of bread from the dinner. It seems Josiah never finished his piece. I snag Josiah's bread when no one is looking and place a part of it in my mouth. If I'm lucky it will sop up the sip of wine I'll have to take. "Here here." we cry as the toast ends. Sure enough, the eyes of my assailants are upon me as I take my possible last sip of wine. I maneuver the bread from just inside my cheek to take the cascade of poison.

Seemingly satisfied with my indulgence of their deadly trap, Iris lets loose a smile. She tugs on her lord's attire and whispers in his ear. Another smile. I wipe a dining cloth across my lips and slip the now wine stained bread into it. I'm going to enjoy bringing them to their knees.

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 pm

The air is cool and brisk as you step outside. A servant has already prepared a dozen foxes, each clawing at their steel cages in futile attempts to escape. The dogs begin howling as the party approaches, and you see Ardin among them. You were almost worried for a moment, that you'd be alone in the woods this morning. 

The group makes it's way to the stables where you fetch one of the horses and then onto the grounds to await the hunt. On the grounds, Josiah awaits you. "You handle yourself well on a horse, and that dog there seems to await your words with the ardor of two young lovers. I had no idea you were a hunter." With a quick, albeit feigned blush you acknowledge your date. He continues. "I was about to offer to hold your bow," retrieving a shortbow strapped to his steed, "but it seems you have done this before." A weapon, thank the gods above. 

"Josiah, Elina join us." Nemos and the rest of the party have gathered near the cages as a servant stands at the ready. With a whistle, the cage is let loose and the foxes bolt into the surrounding forest. Ardin howls with the other hounds and pulls hard against his leather strap. You grin. He plays his part well for a lazy lapdog that would rather enjoy a meal brought to him. After several more minutes of drinking and merriment, the others spur their horses forward, led by a mass of hounds. 

• On the hunt. 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:26 pm

In a flash of hooves and thunder the thick white blanket before us is ruined instantly. The dogs are ahead of us ripping through the snow, Ardin at the lead. Ardin may be a hunting dog but he cares nothing for the hunt, he prefers the sprint and the reward that comes from the catch at the end of the day. The foxes hold little interest for him. Fortunately for me, that plays right into my hand. I whistle out for Ardin and he breaks off from the lead and looks for my next signal. I point into the woods and he darts off, my horse close behind. Iris notices and follows me. It's clear she isn't very competent in the saddle as I easily outpace her. I'll need to properly thank my special tutor for the riding lessons later. It would be so easy for me to ride off into the tundra and escape my would be assailants...but they've toyed with me all night as if I were a marionette.

As if by the grace of the gods, snow begins to fall. Once I make it out of sight of Iris I ditch my horse and let it ride off further into the woods. "Ardin, sit." The pup isn't too thrilled to stop the race but if all plays out he'll get a huge reward. I wait behind a nearby tree and hope Iris isn't too old and blind to miss Ardin's white coat in the middle of this freezing hell. A moment passes and Iris rides up, exhausted and barely maintaining control of her horse. She stops the horse right in front of Ardin who sits there wagging his stupid tail like this is the best day of his life. She frantically looks around for me or my horse. Iris is equipped with two horns, one the standard hunting horn they gave all of us as we prepared for the hunt, and the other a much smaller horn. A signaling horn. She pulls out the smaller horn and gives a harsh blow on it. The much higher pitch of this horn is clearly to signal Nemos.

I sneak up behind Iris and give Ardin the "Watch" command. Unlike the normal command for a guard dog, we use watch to specify any creature other than the two he serves. Iris is clearly not one of us. Ardin whips into a frenzy of gnashing teeth and barks warning Iris to step back. The horse was unprepared for this sudden outburst and it throws it's rider into the snow. With a heavy thud, Iris hits the ground. I check her pulse as she lays there silent and motionless. Still alive. Good, all the better. I take any identifying items that would distinguish Iris and myself and stow them away in the saddlebags. Lucky enough for me, the hunting attire was pretty standard across all four of the women so it shouldn't be too noticeable. I calm the horse and have Ardin sit next to her. I pull up her hood and kick some snow over her face hoping to help disguise her a little longer. I wait back behind the tree and ready myself for Nemos' arrival. The scene has been set. We'll see who's the puppet now.

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm

The cold is unbearable. In mere moments, the warmth has left your body and the frost clings to your leather gloves. You stretch out once more and grab a handful of snow, pulling your body along the ground. You're only ten paces away from Iris, if you could just reach the light crossbow tied to her saddlebags. Looking down at your wound, crimson blood stains your corset and trails behind you to the tree you hid behind. 

"He'll be coming soon."

The snow falls around you as you crawl further. Each agonizing motion brings you one step closer. "I should have kept the bow," you think. "It was too noticeable, but what I wouldn't give for it now." The sound of snow crunched under heavy boots rings in your ears. 

"I can make it. I can make it. If I can just make it, I'll... no. He's too close."

You hear the crank turning, you know he's out there, hidden by the snowfall about to fire again. Ardin's howls have eluded you until now, the adrenaline deafening the world around you, but he can't suffer, no. Whistling with the last bit of breath you can muster, you summon your faithful hound and instruct him home. 

"Don't worry sweetheart, I'll leave a pretty corpse." Nemos. The bastard must have been just out of sight when Iris signaled, stalking her just as the foxes. Tears well in your eyes as you claw ever closer to Iris's horse. It seems every sense has left you and time stands still, silently waiting. 

"He'll fire again soon. I must be ready."

• Loosen a small vial of Taggit oil; pray to Desna you can survive the next bolt and the cold.
  • Feign death after the next shot. [Bluff 22+ Required, Failure = Third Shot / Minor Scar]

Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Story clarification)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 pm

[Bluff 30]

The only thing worse than the pain is this damn snow. I long for the warmth of the West and the desert heat. This never would have happened if I hadn't left Madam Vi's service. Of course, I would have killed myself if I had to entertain another corrupt guard or dirty noble. Yes, a frozen death here in this wintry hell is much preferable to those twisted games.

I crawl forward, each painful movement bringing me ever closer to the horse. I know he's watching me. Taunting me. I can hear that stupid crank on his crossbow winding again and again. He's mocking me. Iris is still motionless beside the horse. The snow continues to fall upon her body piling endlessly. At her age she's probably frozen to death by now. I wonder if Nemos will mourn her loss...I wonder if anyone will mourn me...Felix perhaps. He plays the hard ass but I know he has a soft spot for me. I hope he rains hell upon these damn Pheasants and their ridiculous guild.

I'm very close to the horse now. I can almost reach the saddlebags. I stretch and strain towards the dangling crossbow, my last hope of survival, but the pain is unbearable. My fingers graze the arm of the weapon...the finely crafted instrument fit only for a noble...and then everything stops. Silence. The cranking and winding of Nemos' crossbow has fallen deaf. He's ready. The bolt comes hurtling towards me and I fall quiet and still much like his beloved across from me. The hunt is over Nemos, allow me my deserved rest and begone.

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Minutes pass as you lay still in the freezing cold. You can feel the wet blood all around you as you wait. The deep croon of a hunting horn catches your attention, and you wonder what it could signal. Hooves stamp in the distance, growing closer with each second and you realize they are coming for you. Nemos didn't just intend to kill you, he intended to send a message to Felix. "He had better get payed handsomely for this," you think as the horses ride up. 

Josiah is the first to dismount, his worrisome curses directed at Nemos do little to change the scene. "It was an accident, a horrible, unthinkable accident," says Nemos in his best performance to date. "She was along the ground there, covered in snow. I shot and she kept crawling along the ground!" Murmurs of the blood trail now partially concealed in snow present evidence of Nemos's treachery. "I loaded again and fired. I had no idea she dismounted. Why Gods, why dismount. Her small stature.. I was fooled by the distance. If she had just been on a horse, I wouldn't have mistaken her!" 

The party continues discussing the incident when a blanket is thrown over you. Warmth, you've missed it dearly. You hear Josiah address the nobles, "Friends, I'm afraid this tragedy will end our hunt. I must take her to the temple for a priest to bury."

• Continue your ruse.
  • Rise from the dead.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:47 pm

I dare not move a muscle as Josiah mounts the horse with me thrown over his lap. The sooner I'm out of this horrid mess the sooner I can recover. The sooner I can tell Felix what's happened.

We ride nonstop back to Carneith Hold where Josiah delivers me to the temple. He arranges for everything to be payed for through his own personal funds, such a good man he is. I can tell Felix has arrived as his voice echoes throughout the chamber. The door to the preparatory chamber is thrown open and I hear his footsteps coming closer and closer. I can picture him now with tears in his eyes and a sense of desperation as his favorite agent has met her untimely demise. A girl can dream anyways. The men are next to me now along with the priest, a squat dwarven fellow who reeks of incense probably purchased from that squinty merchant down the street. Suddenly, Felix's voice changes tone. I knew I couldn't hide from him. He moves around the table and whispers something to the dwarf. With those final words he leaves with Josiah and the door to the chamber shuts behind him.

I feel a wave of relief wash over me as I'm healed with magic from the priest. "Aye lass, don't ye think it's time ye got off my slab here?" I smile and crack open my eye closest to him.
"Five more minutes, priest. I need my beauty sleep." He laughs.

"I never did like that shady feller yer' workin' for but milord trusts him and that lad has done right by me and my kind. You can leave out the back when yer' ready. I'll consider this a favor and a right damn good one." I like this dwarf. Straightforward and honest. A racial gift if I've ever seen one.

"Perhaps it's best that everyone thinks I've passed. It'll give me an edge in future...encounters."

"Yer a mystery lass, perhaps that's why he likes ye."

"I assure you, Felix and I are just guildmates."
"Oi, ain't he who I'm meanin'." He just smiles at me and lights his pipe again.

I gather my belongings and head out from the temple. I pull my cowl up over my head. I must find a safe place to hideout for a while. Luckily I know just the spot.

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 am

You spend several days hiding out enjoying a welcome rest. It's not long before you are once again summoned before Felix to begin your next mission for the guild. A lady's work is never done. 

• Complete your adventure.
  • Continue your adventure. 

1. Choose one character that you have completed a solo adventure on, and gain one level. 
  2. Gain three solo adventure destiny point. Destiny points can be used to take the story in any direction you want by allowing you to post twice in a row. Destiny points can also be used to interact with a special NPC, allowing further control over a solo adventure narrative (Note the 'killing, maiming, dismembering, etc' of some special NPCs may involve GM approval). 
  3. Gain gold or one magic item (See GM for details). 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshJuice Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:35 am

It's been a relaxing two weeks away from work. Who knew there were so many hidden rooms and corridors in this old place I think to myself as I enjoy a bottle of Shajinett, a gift from the hunting lodge. It came wrapped in a silk cloth with a note saying how much I will be truly missed and was loved by many blah blah blah. It seems Josiah had left it at my "grave" as a form of offering. I'm quite sad that I had to lie to him, and continue to do so, but the tactical advantage is too beneficial against this rival guild.

Felix has been delivering me the news at the end of each week, it seems Nemos is on the hunt for a new lady. An unfortunate hunting accident at the lodge took dear sweet Iris much too soon, what a pity. In addition to the news this week he also brought me a gift. Magical gloves that protect against arrows. Of course he thought it was hilarious, the jackass.

However, my vacation has ended. It seems there is a new mission that needs my attention. As I'm preparing to leave I can't help but over hear an argument through the stone. A family dispute no doubt. I'm sure it will require my services sooner or later but for now, the guild awaits.

FreshJuice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down